Carshalton Central residents particularly those with Sutton SM1 postcodes sometimes use the very busy Sutton Train Station for work, leisure or pleasure… the side entrance to the south is being completed and will be opened soon. Improvements Works at the front of Sutton Station will commence this September, and be completed by next March 2015, but we understand that there will be no work over the Christmas period to avoid any inconvenience to shoppers. Some of the work will involve traffic diversions.
- a new “countdown” crossing in Brighton Road
- the opening of the side entrance to Sutton station
- new “legible London” signs
- a re-arrangement of the bus stops
- it is not proposed to move the taxi rank, except that after 6.30pm some taxis will be able to park immediately opposite the station, with the bus stop opposite the station moved further down Brighton Road and with some buses stopping in Mulgrave Road
- there will be “live” bus information in Sutton station, subject to further research by Network Rail
- the timing of the pedestrian crossing at the High Street / Grove Road / Sutton Court Road junction will be amended to give more time to cross
- the number of parking spaces in the station area will be increased
- general improvements in design and to the “public realm” around the station, with more flowers, more colour and better signage.
While the side entrance to the station will open next month most of the changes, such as the changes to the bus stops, will be early in 2015.Work on the main changes will commence in September and finish by March 2015 but there will be no work over the Christmas period to avoid inconveniencing Christmas shoppers. These changes are largely funded by grants that Sutton Council has obtained, not local Council tax payers.